Interested parties are encouraged to call for a tour and begin the application process. Applications are accepted at any time. For first-round consideration, families are encouraged to complete the admissions steps below by the deadlines listed.
Step 1 – Tour of the school
One of the most important steps in choosing the right school for your child is visiting a variety of schools. We invite you to look, listen and ask questions.
Tours are offered by appointment Monday through Friday during regular school hours. To arrange your tour, please contact us at (502) 425-6904.
Step 2 – Submit required paperwork
Required forms for students and parents are available in your tour packet and online for your convenience. Please submit them in a timely fashion so your child’s application is complete. Applications for the 2013-2014 school year are due on or before Jan. 25, 2013, for first-round consideration, and thereafter as parties are interested.
A. For each student:
Please submit paperwork with relevant information highlighting a child’s development. Help us learn about your child, what abilities and interests a child has and what he or she needs going forward in a school setting.
1. Submit an Application for Admissions and a non-refundable, non-transferable $100 application fee.
2. Submit a Teacher Recommendation Form for kindergarten through fifth grade applicants.
3. Submit copies of any professional evaluations that your child has undergone to study special concerns: vision, speech, psychological, physical, medical, hearing, behavioral, attention.
4. Copies of school evaluations, such as recent report cards and standardized test scores, if they exist.
B. For each parent:
Submit these required forms to Chance School with your child’s application. Because parental involvement is encouraged at Chance and the safety and wellbeing of the students, staff and volunteers is paramount, the school requires criminal background checks, per state regulations. Results will show misdemeanor and traffic cases and felonies.
1. Submit a Parent Background Check – Youth Leader Form that a Chance School administrator will submit to the Administrative Office of the Courts in your state of residency.
2. Submit a Parent Background Check – CAN Form along with a copy of identifying information (your driver’s license, Social Security card or birth certificate). A school administrator will submit to the state’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
Upon the receipt of a complete file, a Chance representative will initiate one or more of these steps:
1. Interview an applicant’s teacher, with a parent’s signed permission on the Application for Admission
2. Observe an applicant at his/her current school
3. Schedule two days of shadowing at Chance School for an elementary applicant
Step 3 – Secure your child’s enrollment
First-round enrollment decisions are announced on February14, 2013, and thereafter as openings exist. Once enrollment decisions are made, acceptance packets are mailed to accepted applicants with an acceptance letter, enrollment contract, tuition and fees, and financial aid information for the 2013-2014 school year. You have typically two weeks from the date of your child’s acceptance to return the required paperwork and corresponding fees to secure your child’s enrollment at Chance School.
Take these steps according to the deadlines included in your acceptance letter per child:
1. Return the Enrollment Papers – Enrollment Contract and Student Profile for full-paying families or an Intent to Register Form for families pursuing tuition assistance. The signed enrollment contract is binding as of June 1, at which time families are liable for the school year’s entire tuition.
2. Pay a Registration Fee per child according to your acceptance letter – approximately two weeks from date of acceptance: a non-refundable, non-transferable $800 registration fee for a full-pay family; a refundable $100 registration fee for a family completing the financial aid process.
Tuition payments begin on June 1.
Step 4 – Take next steps if applying for aid:
Chance School offers partial financial aid to those families whose children have been accepted in a five-day program and can demonstrate need for financial assistance. Priority is given at the elementary level to achieve full enrollment, gender balance, and diversity goals. The Financial Aid Outline is distributed with acceptance packets. Aid applicants meeting the first-round deadline of March 15 will be included in decisions when maximum funding is available. A financial aid application received after this deadline is considered if funds are available. Financial aid decisions are rendered by May 1.
Tuition payments begin on June 1.