The Chums program is available before and after school on days that school is in session. While there is some flexibility, the Chums option is for students needing an extended school schedule on an ongoing basis. Options are from 7:30-8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., and 3 – 6 p.m..
While the schedule remains flexible to take advantage of weather and special events, Chums program components include:
- center activities and projects that are age-appropriate
- playtime in the Funroom or on the playground in the morning and afternoon
- lunch brought from home with organic milk or water provided by the school
- snack with organic milk or water provided by the school
- rest time for preschoolers during afternoon programs, allowing for sleepers to nap and non-sleepers to play quietly on mats for this designated period
- assistance with homework for elementary students, although many families prefer being involved with such assignments at home
Chums preschool participants
For the early-morning option, preschoolers join elementary students in the Funroom, with quiet or active play. For the 11:30 – 3 p.m. option, the grouping of preschoolers is age-specific according to enrollment. During the 3 – 6 p.m. option, preschool students are blended in multi-age groups of 2s, 3s and 4s.
Chums elementary students
For the early-morning option, elementary students join preschoolers in the Funroom, with quiet or active play. For the 3 – 6 p.m. session, students are in multi-age, elementary groups.
Chums begins on the first day of school and continues until the last day of the fall and spring semesters. Chums is not available on days when classes are not in session due to holidays, school breaks, conferences or professional development days. Fees are incurred according to a child’s Chums schedule. Payments are made on a monthly basis.